Saturday, June 26, 2010

A weekend in Malaysia...

As I am about to write this post, I think about the moments just before the plane lands in Kuala Lumpur International Airport, and the standard inflight video that Malaysia Airlines plays for first-time visitors to the country.

In the video, TV presenter Asha Gill gives viewers a snapshot of what to expect of their time in Malaysia, and proclaims that "food is the centre of our universe."

She wasn't kidding.

This is not even half of the local delicacies I had the opportunity to eat and photograph during my short visit home.

Oyster omelette topped with coriander, served with a chilli dipping sauce.

Pork ribs cooked in a Marmite marinade.

Pippies cooked in soy, garlic and curry leaf, served on a bed of lettuce.

Stir fried baby kai-lan (chinese broccoli) with garlic.

Deep fried fish with a light soy sauce, topped with ginger and coriander. My favourite!

Spinach tofu and chinese mushrooms.

Bak Kut Teh (literally translates to meat bone tea) - pork ribs simmered in a complex broth of herbs for hours, served with a variety of mushrooms and tofu puffs. Also eaten with the chinese version of savoury doughnuts - yummy!

Rice noodles in a coconut broth, fried fish head, ginger, spring onions and salted vegetables.

Rice noodles in a clear pork broth with pork balls, kai lan, and garnished with fried garlic.

A traditional Malay spread - taken from the wedding reception dinner I attended. All dishes served with Biryani rice.

These are the things that dreams are made of!

-Trish

"Food is an important part of a balanced diet."  ~Fran Lebowitz

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you and your rumbling belly.
Leave me a message and I will get back to you shortly.

Peace & love,
Trish x