Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fifteen, Melbourne

I applaud Jamie Oliver for a fabulous concept - giving kids from a difficult background the chance to grow their passion for food and train for a career in the restaurant industry. The result? The Fifteen Foundation.

Beginning in 2002, Jamie Oliver opened the first Fifteen restaurant in London and has since included Cornwall (2004), Amsterdam (2006) and Melbourne (2006) to his list of locations. Why it took me four years to finally visit my local Fifteen I'm not sure, but I am sad to report that I wouldn't have minded waiting even longer.

Yes, I was disappointed.

The restaurant layout, ambience and service were all lovely. The food just average. We arrived for a 7:00pm sitting on a Sunday evening and by 9:00pm half the restaurant was empty. We had two entrées, two mains and two desserts.


King prawn and salmon ravioli in a shellfish broth with marjoram salmoriglio

Pappardelle ‘fatte in casa’ with Italian pork sausage ragu, fennel and parmigiano reggiano


Pan roasted duck breast and confit leg with parsnip purée, shallot ‘tortino’ and black cabbage


Zucchini wrapped wild barramundi with chickpeas inzimino, chorizo and basil oil

Elderflower pannacotta with blueberry compote and lavender shortbread

Chocolate, hazelnut and toffee fudge tart with crème fraîche gelato

I apologise for the terrible lighting in the photos. I know my dad in particular is going to pull me aside for that! I am still flying blind when it comes to my new camera (or any camera, for that matter) and its functions. And as you can tell, dessert got the better of us before we even remembered to take photos.

The best dish? The duck breast. Pink and juicy on the inside with a lovely crispy skin on the outside. I can't decide on my least favourite because the rest were all, well... the same level of average.

You can find Fifteen at the basement of 115-117 Collins Street, Melbourne CBD. The venue is open 7 days a week and will accept bookings online (4 guests or less) or by phone 1300 799 415.

Antipasti - From $15
Entrees - From $19
Mains - From $32
Sides - From $9
Desserts - From $12

For further details, visit www.fifteenmelbourne.com.au

Eat well & eat happy,
Trish

"As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: take it or leave it." ~Buddy Hackett

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you and your rumbling belly.
Leave me a message and I will get back to you shortly.

Peace & love,
Trish x